Youth Activities Counselor
JOB OVERVIEW: Interact with and supervise all children participating in Youth Activities programs, ages 3-17 years, by providing a safe environment so children of all ages will enjoy themselves. Assist in the set-up for all facilitated activities and execute clean-up duties upon completion of program. Assist with the cleaning and sanitizing of spaces and objects, before, during, and after the facilities open. Provide registration/check-in/check-out services for guests in children’s spaces on the ship and Castaway Cay. Prepare food trays for children during meal or snack times.
Your ability to be flexible with your work schedule, job duties, and work locations will be essential as you start your new adventure in the Youth Activities department. As a Youth Activities Counselor (YAC,) you will work in partnership with our Youth Entertainment Host Team, by providing program support, to ensure all department and shipboard objectives are successfully met.
Showcase your leadership, creativity and talent, by facilitating and presenting small scale activities. As a YAC, you will also assist in set-up and clean-up duties at the conclusion of each program and/or activity. This includes, cleaning and sanitization of spaces and objects as well. Passion, coupled with a roll-up-your-sleeves attitude is a must for Youth Activities Counselors, as they work to provide an emotionally and physically safe environment for children.
It is important to note that this role will require you to engage with guests both on the ship, as well as on our private island, Castaway Cay. Caring for Guests is a priority at the cruise line, so Youth Activities Counselors are expected to extend the same level of care, regardless of the location, at all times.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE: Minimum two years recent experience working in a high volume, fast paced recreational/camp environment with children. Strong oral and written communication and organizational skills. Must be able to command the attention of large groups of children. Schooling in recreation, education, or related field of study is preferred.
- 3+ seasons (3 months each) of overnight and/or day camp experience
- Minimum of 2 seasons (3 months each) of overnight and/or day camp experience PLUS 1 year experience working in a high volume, fast-paced environment in recreation, resort, day care, before/after school care setting with children
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working in a high-volume, fast-paced environment in recreation, resort, day care, before/after school care setting
- Must be at least 20 years of age
- Ability to speak, read, and write fluent English
- Must be able to command the attention of a large group of children. Must have experience working with a minimum of 25 children up to 200 children or more.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, shipboard environment with limited contact with friends and family on shore
- Ability to work without a day off for 4 ½ months at a time, and work 70-84 hours per week
- Be able to adhere to Disney Cruise Line appearance guidelines
- Comply with all company set policies and procedures, along with all maritime and ship rules, regulations and procedures
- Schooling in recreation, education, or related field of study is preferred
- Bi-lingual in Spanish and/or Portuguese
- Microphone experience preferred
- Experience working with special needs children-