The Maitre D’ reports to the Hotel Manager
Directing the activities of crew members engaged in food service and food related beverage service in all areas, to maximize crew efficiency, and the passenger experience.
- Responsible for an efficient operation of the restaurant organization in all service areas as well as courteous service of food and beverages therein as per company standards.
- Responsible for the implementation and execution of food handling, food service and cleaning procedures in accordance with USPH / HACCP and company standards. Follows all USPH / HACCP procedures as required by company.
- Directs, supervises and trains all subordinates in the performance of their duties in accordance with the quality standards set by the company and follows procedures therein
- Prepares or causes to be prepared work schedules of all employees in the restaurant organization
- Controls actual hours worked in department, has these recorded/reported on the appropriate forms as per standard set by the company and according to ISM.
- Prepares objectives and evaluation for his subordinates in the restaurant organization and discuss with his subordinates said evaluations.
- Prepares and gives training by using up to date training methods. Perform your training and coaching to your subordinates with the goal to bring up their performance to company standard.
- Responsible for the performance, personal conduct, dress and grooming of all subordinate employees.
- Ensures that the Assistant Maitre D’ or Head Waiter, (whichever is applicable) has prepared or checked all assigned table seating’s if not done by him/her self.
- In consultation with the Hotel Manager, arranges for approval by the Captain for seating at the Captain's table and schedules attendance at specific receptions, those passengers recommended by the company and Hotel Manager. (If not done by the charterer or other parties)
- Designates and submits for approval of the Hotel Manager hours of operation for all restaurants.
- Responsible for implementing and executing proper maintenance and cleaning procedures in all restaurant areas and crew mess rooms in order to ensure good appearance and condition of these areas.
- Reports any malfunctioning equipment or furnishings in need of repair or refurbishing via AVO to the appropriate departments and Hotel Manager.
- Prepares or causes to be prepared all reports as requested by the Hotel Manager.
- Prepares or causes to be prepared all requisitions for supplies from stores and/or other departments. Submits requisitions to Hotel Controller.
- Responsible for creating an atmosphere in the restaurant organization which will achieve maximum productivity and a morale which lends towards rendering a high quality service to passengers and crew.
- Collaborates with Executive Chef to gain day-to-day knowledge of the menus and the items included in each. Disseminates this information to the Restaurant Waiters/esses on a day-to-day basis. Ensures that all Restaurant Waiters/esses have a sound knowledge of the menu items and available wines.
- Works closely with other department heads in passenger service and ship's maintenance.
- Attend and be an active member of all meetings where your attendance is required.
- Every hotel officer shall possess a certificate of competency of Lifeboatman.
The following courses and/or certificates are mandatory:
The following courses and/or certificates are required or desired:
- LAW I
- Quality Customer Service
- English Testing
- Sexual Harassment
- Crew Fraternization
- Team Building
- Performance Appraisal
- Fire Fighting & Prevention
- Hazardous Materials
- Workplace Safety
- Beverage Service Training
- ECP Environmental Training Tier 1, Tier 2
- Basic Sanitation
- Advanced Sanitation
- Pest Control
- First Aid/CPR/Heim
- 24 hours/day on duty when required.