POSITION SUMMARY / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Assistant Carpenter assists with any kind of carpentry work and required deck work in accordance with the instructions from his superiors.
- Comply with safety regulations and maintain clean and orderly work areas.
- Dismantle machines, equipment, or devices
- Measure materials or distances, using square, measuring tape, or rule to lay out work.
- Assemble and fasten material together to construct wood or metal framework of structure, using bolts, nails, or screws.
- Clean work areas, machines, or equipment, to maintain a clean and safe job site.
- Select tools, equipment, or materials from storage and transport items to work site.
- Position and hold timbers, lumber, or paneling in place for fastening or cutting.
- Follow established safety rules and regulations and maintain a safe and clean environment.
- Measure and mark cutting lines on materials, using a ruler, pencil, chalk, and marking gauge.
- Inspect ceiling or floor tile, wall coverings, siding, glass, or woodwork to detect broken or damaged structures.
- Finish surfaces of woodwork or wallboard in houses or buildings, using paint, hand tools, or paneling.
- Fill cracks or other defects in plaster or plasterboard and sand patch, using patching plaster, trowel, and sanding tool.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and the SEMS, and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum of one year prior experience as an Assistant Carpenter is required; or two years of prior experience as a maintenance worker is required.
- Basic to Intermediate knowledge and experience using assorted hand tools and power tools is required.
- Basic to Intermediate level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar is required.
- High school diploma or foreign equivalent is required.
- Position-specific STCW training from an accredited educational institution is required.
- Passionate about hospitality and customer service driven
- Must have a professional appearance and good hygiene
- Respect for all co-workers and guests
- Pride in your work by creating positive energy, excitement and fun
- Able to work 7 days a week
- Demonstrate positive behaviors; smiling, being polite and courteous
- Able to develop a camaraderie with team members
- Ability to live in close quarters, share limited space with other cabin-mates
REQUIRED ABILITIES / PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
While performing the essential functions of this job, all team members are required to stand; walk long distances on the ship; use hands to touch, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk, hear, taste and smell. All vessel positions require repetitive motion of bending, climbing, going up and down stairs and lifting more than 25 pounds. This job requires specific vision abilities to include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.