POSITION SUMMARY & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Assistant Waiter will report directly to the Assistant Restaurant Manager. The Assistant Waiter assists a waiter with the service for food and beverage of an assigned station/team in the restaurants. This position will rotate throughout the Buffet and Room Service as assigned by management. The Assistant Waiter will also ensure that guests are consistently provided with courteous, prompt and efficient service according to company standards.
- Ensures that assigned station is properly setup with the required amounts of china, glassware, silverware and mis-en-place prior to the start of service.
- Assist with achieving departmental guest satisfaction targets and food and beverage revenues by following established service strategies and optimizing up-sell opportunities.
- Complies with sequence of service for food and beverage, and follows the lead/instructions of the Waiters to ensure timeliness of service to guests.
- Resolves any service and/or product deficiencies that may occur, to ensure satisfaction of service with guests in assigned station.
- Ensures that assigned station is properly cleaned and set-up at the end of the meal period and that all assigned side-work is complete.
- Performs other jobs as assigned, to include but not limited to manning non-cooking buffet action stations (i.e. carving station, dessert station).
- Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and the SEMS, and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.
- Deliver food and beverage orders to guest’s staterooms as per company procedure as well as assisting with private parties and functions.
- Field guest phone orders and handle according to established procedures.
- Clear service trays from staterooms, corridors and pantries in a timely manner.
- Minimum of two year experience as a front waiter with fine dining and banquet service experience in any of the following settings: 3 Star – 4 Star land-based hotel/resort; free-standing restaurant with at least 180 seats; or previous shipboard experience in a similar position is required.
- Minimum of two year experience selling and serving wine and other beverage products is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar is required.
- Must be able to assist 1-2 Waiters with servicing a workstation in a restaurant that is comprised of 16 to 32 seats.
- Must be able to carry up to 12 covers on a waiter tray or 16 glasses in the same fashion.
- Must have working knowledge of the service requirements/styles/food for all meal periods (breakfast, lunch and dinner) across various restaurant concepts (Italian, French, Casual-fare, Oriental, Steakhouse, Brazilian Steakhouse, etc.)
- High school diploma, Secondary Education degree or equivalent is mandatory.
- Courses and or training in safety, environmental, public health and sanitation regulations and procedures are required
- Passionate about hospitality and customer service driven
- Must have a professional appearance and good hygiene
- Respect for all co-workers and guests
- Pride in your work by creating positive energy, excitement and fun
- Able to work 7 days a week
- Demonstrate positive behaviors; smiling, being polite and courteous
- Able to develop a camaraderie with team members
- Ability to live in close quarter and share limited space with other cabin-mates