Supporting the Chief Engineer in the running of the engine department, the Staff Engineer supervises the day-to-day operations, related to all mechanical, electrical, electronic, environmental matters on board the ship and is actively participating in instructions and training of all the engine department officers and staff.
• Works closely with the Chief Engineer to ensure that all maintenance is completed efficiently and thoroughly;
• Maintains regular contact with the Hotel Director and Sanitation Officer in order to ensure technical compliance with international sanitation requirements;
• Works in close cooperation with Safety Officer to ensure the proper maintenance and outstanding mechanical conditions of all the safety equipment and system aboard the vessel;
• Is fully responsible for the operation of the engine room and any maintenance of machinery on board when deputising for the Chief Engineer;
• Ensures work in progress is completed in line with internal standard procedures.
(skills, competencies, experience)
• Fluent English oral and written. Any additional European language is considered an advantage (Italian, Portuguese, German, Spanish and French);
• Master's degree or Polytechnic degree of technical ship operations;
• Certificate of Competency IMO III/2 + passengers ship familiarisation;
• Previous experience in both mechanical and electrical engineering as well as experience in international sanitation requirements;
• Stress tolerance;
• Excellent communication skills;
• Problem solving;
• Excellent team management abilities;
• A recognised medical certification is required before starting to work on board.
VISA REQUIREMENTS (if any)
• Possess a valid passport and when possible a seaman book copy.