LINE MANAGER: STAFF ENGINEER
The First Engineer is in charge of engine watch-keeping. He/she is responsible for the daily maintenance and operations of the engineering and technical aspects of the vessel as directed by The Chief Engineer and Staff Engineer.
• Ensures presence on board whenever the Staff Engineer is absent;
• Relieves the Staff Engineer in case emergency;
• Is directly responsible toward the Staff Engineer for each work performed in the engine room and for the maintenance and condition of the Main Diesel Engine and Emergency Diesel Engine;
• Assigns maintenance and repair duties to his dependent personnel and actively supervises overhaul and repair work;
• Inspects all assigned work in progress ensuring that it is executed properly in accordance with acceptable standards and that no wastage of materials occurs;
• Controls the proper disposals of all refuse, rags etc. to avoid fire and other hazards;
• Trains personnel assigned to his engine watch;
• Supervises and works in close cooperation with the 2nd and 3rd engineers, engine cadet and engine ratings, being also responsible for their on-the-job training;
• Attends all cocktail parties and social and entertaining functions where his presence is required by the Master.
(skills, competencies, experience)
• Fluent English, oral and written. Any additional language is considered an advantage;
• Certificate of Competency IMO STCW Cap III/2;
• Basic Safety Training Certificate including Advanced Fire fighting experience and Swimming & Rowing competence;
• Satisfy the requirements of STCW 95 regarding certification for this position;
• Meet the requirements of the laws of the Flag State of the ship regarding health & physical requirements;
• Extensive successful experience in a similar position within Cargo or other Cruise company;
• Basic Windows based programs knowledge;
• A recognised medical certification is required before starting to work onboard.
VISA REQUIREMENTS (if any)
• USA VISA if in possess