POSITION SUMMARY / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Cook Teppanyaki ensures a successful link between the Chef Tournant and the area of responsibility. His/her primary role includes a professional, hands-on approach, which involves: leading, training, and demonstrating exemplary culinary skills and knowledge. He/she is directly responsible for all culinary aspects in the kitchen and staff including inventories, set-up, preparation, food quality, breakdown, and sanitation. The Cook is accountable for ensuring all NCL policies, procedures, and recipes are followed consistently. He/she is responsible for documenting and communicating with the Chef Tournant and/or the Executive Chef’s personal assistant in regards to variances, exceptions, and maintenance issues. The Cook is responsible to be prepared for additional culinary contingencies, which may occur within his/her outlet or in another outlet/venue.
• Continually trains, coaches, and recognizes team members to improve food quality and meet budget expectations while motivating team members
• Maintains an organized and efficient flow of production, with regards to changes in forecasts and menus
• Responsible for mise-en-place, and food service for production area
• Consistently checks food handling and storage procedures while training team members to do the same
• Assists Chef Tournant in documenting and maintaining a waste log to improve forecasting and production models
• Assists Chef Tournant in adjusting daily requisitions to reflect trends and forecasts
• Completes daily walk-thru upon arrival to outlet to ensure equipment is in good repair and outstanding safety and sanitation issues have been resolved
• Conducts daily walk-thru prior to leaving to ensure cleanliness, rotation, and proper labeling of all food items, proper storage of all food items, proper removal/disposal of leftover item to crew mess, buffets, etc.
• Actively participates in daily focus meetings with team members to ensure communication and daily expectations
• Maintain USPH/FDA standards for outlet
• Assists Chef Tournant in adhering to budget constraints in regards, to labor, product, and equipment
• Assists Chef Tournant by completing and delivering of all reports, documents, and other items requested by supervisor to the chef’s office/personal assistant.
• Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
• Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and the SEMS, and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS
• Strong knowledge of all basic Asian cooking techniques is required.
• Strong knowledge of Teppanyaki-style cooking philosophies and principles including but not limited to Chinese, Thai, and Japanese is required.
• Ability to prepare all teppanyaki mise en place including starches, vegetables, trimming and cutting of proteins is required.
• Ability to captivate guests by cooking “on stage” is required.
• Ability to verbally explain processes of history, preparation, and cooking techniques to guests while cooking is required.
• Minimum of one year of experience in teppanyaki cooking is required.
• Minimum of two years of culinary experience with Asian influences is required. Formal culinary training may substitute for this requirement at an equivalent rate.
• Intermediate to Advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar is required.
• High school diploma or foreign equivalent is required.
• Culinary School 2-4 year degree or foreign equivalency is required.