Chef Tournant-Mexican Cuisine
The Chef Tournant is a direct link between the Executive Chef, Executive Sous Chef and his/her assigned production areas and outlets. The Chef Tournant’s primary responsibilities are to ensure all communication, standards, policies, and expectations are communicated to his/her team and then executed flawlessly. He/she achieves the objectives through communication, organization, and training. The Chef Tournant enables his/her team by ensuring equipment and sanitation standards are always met, supplies and inventories are readily available, expectations are communicated, recipes are current, and training is on-going.
The Chef Tournant is expected to be a “hands-on” supervisor who leads his/her team by example. The Chef Tournant is assigned to be directly responsible for one or more outlets or production areas in the following categories: production, alternative restaurants, buffets, or main galley. The Chef Tournant should expect to be rotated into different areas with or without advance notice in regards business demands and career development. Chef Tournant rotations are at the sole on discretion of the Executive Sous Chef and Executive Chef.
SOME ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Ensures all food is prepared fresh and is of the highest quality
- Strictly adheres to all recipes, methods and instructions from supervisor
- Maintains an organized and efficient flow of production, with regards to changes in forecasts and menus
- Ensures development of team members through on-going training
- Responsible for inventories to enable team members to successfully prepare mise en place
- Consistently checks temperatures in foods and follows proper procedures in regards to chilling, re-heating, and holding food.
- Maintains and reports waste log to supervisors on a daily/weekly basis
- Checks outlet(s) upon arrival to determine status of outstanding safety, or equipment issues
- Checks outlet(s) prior to leaving to ensure cleanliness, proper disposal/removal of food, and proper storing and labeling
- Responsible for accuracy in daily inventories and requisitions
- Ensures proper rotation, storage temperatures, and proper storing procedures are observed
- Communicates with provisions to ensure successful coordination of requisitioning, and return to stocks, including variances, spoilage, and excess inventories
- Keeps Executive Chef, Chef’s Personal Assistant, and Executive Sous Chef apprised of challenges productions and team members
- Ensures recipes are constantly updated to reflect changes created by availability or direction from Executive Chef
- Strives to continuously improve flow of production and all other outputs by submitting ideas in writing to Executive Sous Chef
- Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of all basic cooking techniques is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of Classical European, International, and World Cuisine, including cooking philosophies and principles are required.
- Basic to Intermediate knowledge and experience to lead in all areas of the galley including buffets, production, alternative restaurants and main galleys is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of herbs, spices and flavorings, is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of all kitchen equipment, tools, and supplies is required.
- Minimum of one (1) year supervisory experience on cruise ship or high volume hotel/restaurant is required.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in a high production volume restaurant/hotel is required.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in a fine dining or upscale restaurant is required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of general culinary experience is required.
MANAGERIAL / ORGAINIZATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to convert recipes from metric to U.S. and vice versa for both volume and weight
- Intermediate to Advanced skills in typing and computer software skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Fidelio, AS400, Micros) are required.
- Ability to create and write reports in English in professional and concise terms
- Supervises a team of five (5) or more crew.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent required
- Culinary School 2-4 year degree or equivalency preferred