1st Engineer Officer
The Engine Officer is in charge for the Engine Watch-keeping. He/She is Responsible for the daily maintenance and operations of the engineering and technical aspects of the vessel as directed by The Chief Engineer and Staff Engineer, relieving the Staff Engineer in the case of emergency.
• Has direct responsibility, toward the Staff Engineer, for each work performed in the engine room and for the maintenance and condition of the Main Diesel Engine and Emergency Diesel Engine, in particular the pneumatic system, clutch system, main propeller shaft, Simplex system and oil report, bilge separator, main fuel system and bunkering;
• Assigns maintenance and repair duties to his dependent personnel and actively supervise in any overhaul and repair work;
• Inspects all assigned work in progress, and on completion, ensure that manpower is utilized to the fullest extent, that work is executed properly in accordance with acceptable standards and that no wastage of materials occurs and upkeep of the department;
• Controls, during the watchkeeping tasks, the proper disposals of all refuse, rags etc. to avoid fire and other hazards during and after work;
• Trains personnel assigned to the engine watch (particularly new personnel) to follow safe working practices, ensuring that functions are fully recognized by each man and that executed work, as well as the performed manner, conforms to established standards. Supervises and works in close cooperation with the 2nd and 3rd engineers, engine cadet and engine ratings, being also responsible for their on-the-job training, thus ensuring safe working conditions;
• Attends, when invited by the Master and when duty permits, all cocktail parties and social and entertaining activities and functions.
• By mutual arrangement with the Staff Engineer, he/she has to be present on board the vessel at any time the Staff Engineer is absent from the ship.
JOB REQUIREMENTS (skills, competencies, experience)
• Fluent in oral and written English and Italian. Knowledge of other Foreign language is a plus;
• High School Graduation with appropriate licenses obtained from certified Technical Institutes;
• At least 5 years of experience in the position on board of Ships operating internationally;
• Windows based computer ability and proven knowledge of MS Office suite is a must;
• Good supervisory skills, crisis, and problem handling;
• Physical integrity and ability to: stand, walk, use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear, taste or smell, lift and/or move up to 25 Kg., full ability of close vision close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus;
• STCW95 trainings are compulsory (Basic fire fighting, personal survival techiniques, elementary first aid, perosnal security and social responsibility);
• Proficiency in security awareness training is required;•A recognised medical certification is required before starting to work onboard.
VISA REQUIREMENTS (if any)
• VISA working permit, Entry and/or Transit VISAs may be required depending on ship itinerary