Assistant Maitre D
Assistant Maître D’ is directly responsible for the operation and supervision of an assigned restaurant on the ship, crew mess or room service, and assisting with operations in the main dining rooms and buffet. They assist with the direction, supervision, performance, training and evaluation of all positions within the restaurant department.
• Lead by example utilizing a “hands-on” approach to management.
• Assist with establishing and developing a highly motivated, pro-active Restaurant team with the highest ethical standards that delivers a cost effective and quality oriented service product.
• Facilitate an environment in which restaurant crew members are comfortable utilizing the open-door policy.
o Acts as a mentor for new restaurant employees during their first two weeks onboard through open communication and availability. Assist with facilitating new-hire training for employees.
• Assist with scheduling crew members based off of guidelines established by the Corporate Office and the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• Assist with reviewing time clock sheets to ensure accuracy of pay for crew members.
• Ensure restaurant crew members are being treated in a fair and equitable manner.
• Ensure that restaurant crew member issues are resolved in a timely manner.
• Ensure that crew members are in compliance with the grooming and uniform standards of the company.
• Communicate with the restaurant staff through daily line-ups and monthly meetings. These meetings are to have a set agenda and not be held during meal periods.
• Facilitate continuous training to the crew members.
• Facilitate cross-training between restaurants.
oEnsure restaurant crew members are promoted into specialty restaurants in a fair and equitable manner.
• Continue own education by staying abreast of trends and sharing this information with the team.
• Monitor the performance of all restaurant staff to ensure that their duties are carried out in accordance with Company policy, and safety and environmental regulations.
• Monitor restaurant crew member performance. Identify strengths and weaknesses and provide timely feedback to the individual.
• Recognize restaurant crew members for their accomplishments.
• Coach and counsel employees in a timely manner and in accordance with Company policy.
• Ensure that performance evaluations of all restaurant personnel are carried out as per Company policy in a fair and equitable manner, based on actual performance and results achieved.
• Ensure that restaurant employee promotions/transfers are handled according to Company policy.
• Communicate staffing needs to the Maître D’ as needed.
• Monitor restaurant crew turnover and present ideas to the Maître D’ on how to decrease.
• Have knowledge of the goals of the company and department and the action plans that will be followed to achieve these goals.
• Communicate the goals of the company and department and the action plans to the crew members.
• Develop a positive working relationship with all shipboard departments to facilitate a team oriented atmosphere.
• Ensure that all departments within F&B are working together as a team and supporting each other in a professional manner.
• Regularly communicate with the Restaurant Manager and Maître D’ in regards to restaurant related matters.
• Ensure that assigned restaurant is maintained in accordance with Company policy, USPH, SEMS and safety and environmental regulations.
• Ensure that cleaning schedules for assigned restaurant are in place and being followed.
• Ensure that service schedules for equipment in assigned restaurant are in place and being followed.
• Submit work orders for repairs to assigned restaurant and/or equipment and follow up on these requests to ensure timely completion.
• Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and SEMS. Participate in daily USPH inspections as needed.
• Ensure that the company’s standards are maintained in the following areas:
- Freestyle service and dining experience
- Restaurant service, operation and philosophy
- Public health
• Enforce Company standards for consistent, quality service.
• Ensure that the F&B department achieves satisfactory guest satisfaction ratings on a consistent basis.
• Enforce policies and procedures in a fair and equitable manner.
• Continuously review the operation and make recommendations on how to enhance the product to the Maître D’.
• Assist with implementing new policies, standard operating procedures and Company initiatives as assigned.
• Always available on the floor to assist crew and to interact with guests.
• Schedule crew members according to business levels and monitor overtime.
• Enforce cost control procedures and monitor waste and breakage.
• Ensure the restaurant reservation system is maintained and that the Hosts/Hostesses are adhering to the seating guidelines.
• Ensure that guest complaints are dealt with in a timely, professional manner and in accordance with Company policy.
• Maintain an outlet log for assigned restaurant.
• Complete reports in a timely manner (cover count report, monthly inventory reports, manning reports, etc.) and forward them to the Maître D’ or Restaurant Manager.
• Assist with reviewing all ship generated reports to identify areas of deficiency in assigned restaurant and determine appropriate courses of action to correct.
• Properly plan and prepare for events and cruises.
• Develop and maintain par stocks for equipment.
• Place equipment orders according to the Provisioning Schedule.
• Order equipment based on consumption history and par levels.
• Conduct monthly equipment inventories in accordance with Company policy.
• Ensure that restaurant equipment items delivered to the vessel are in compliance with Company specifications.
• Monitor slow moving item reports to ensure that discontinued equipment items are not being reordered.
• Responsible for ensuring that assigned restaurant operates within the established revenue and expense budgetary guidelines for the vessel.
• Assist with planning orders for assigned restaurant based off of the budgetary guidelines for the vessel.
• Assist with reviewing all food and beverage related costs and consumptions in accordance with financial targets.
• Assist with ensuring that all food and beverage revenues and expenses are properly recorded against the appropriate budget, and the variations from the budgeted amounts are properly documented.
• Assist with monitoring revenue reports for accuracy.
• Submit budget requests to the Maître D’ and Restaurant Manager in a timely manner.
• Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
• Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and the SEMS, and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.
• Minimum of one year experience as an Assistant Restaurant Manager or Maître D’ in a multi-venue, high volume, luxury hotel or resort, or as an Assistant Maître ‘d, Head Waiter for a large cruise ship.
• Minimum one year experience working in high-volume banquet operations is required.
• Intermediate to Advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar.
• Intermediate to Advanced skills in typing and computer software skills (Microsoft Office suite, Property Management Systems, Restaurant Reservation Systems, and POS Systems) are required.
• Minimum one year experience managing a multinational and multilingual staff is required. Also, must be able to teach suggestive selling techniques to staff.
• Minimum one year experience managing budgets, projections, and implementing cost control practices is required.
Bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalency in Hotel Management is required. Prior restaurant management experience may substitute for this educational requirement at an equivalent rate.
• Proactive, Team Player, Problem Solver
• Passionate about hospitality and customer service driven
• Must have a professional appearance and good hygiene
• Respect for all co-workers and guests
• Pride in your work by creating positive energy, excitement and fun
• Able to work 7 days a week
• Demonstrate positive behaviors; smiling, being polite and courteous
• Able to develop a camaraderie with team members
• Ability to live in close quarters, share limited space with other cabin-mates