The Chef Garde Manger’s primary responsibility is to manage the operations of the cold food preparation galley to ensure that the line's high standards are achieved and maintained within budgetary limitations. Is seen as an inspirational role model by his/her employees. Is a top professional with cold food presentation and displays and has a passion for the Culinary arts.
This includes all practices, procedures, training and guest satisfaction levels. A procedural approach to managing the entire onboard galley department must be employed, utilizing modern management principles as well as incorporating technological innovations where practical in order to deliver top quality guest service. In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
* Minimum of three years experience as a Garde Manger Chef in a large size cruise ship or multi-venue, high volume, luxury hotel or resort.
* Has the ability to taste all foods to assure correct preparation
* Experience with high volume, 3 meal restaurants
* Must have excellent knowledge of cold food preparation and presentation as well as:
- Garde Manger classics (Terrines Pâtés, cold salads and dressings)
- Hors d’ oeuvres and canapés
- Preservation techniques (curing, smoking and brining)
- Leaf and compound salads (American, European and Asian)
- Classical and contemporary sandwiches and wraps
- Italian antipasti, Spanish tapas and Mediterranean Mezze
- Sushi preparation
- Ice carving
* Experience with very busy banquet operations and presentations
* Experience with modern buffet operations to include set-up and action stations.
* Experience implementing new food concepts and menus
* Demonstrated knowledge of beverage products and the ability to pair wines with cuisine
* Track record of successfully managing food cost and inventory control
* Intermediate to Advanced ability to read, write and effectively communicate in English is required; and other languages are preferred.
* Intermediate to Advanced Typing and Computer software Skills: Microsoft Word & Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, IBM AS400, Fidelio, Micros.
* Bachelors degree in a Culinary discipline or foreign equivalency is required.
* Certificate of completion from a recognized culinary institution is required.
* Proactive, Team Player, Problem Solver
* Passionate about hospitality and customer service driven
* Must have a professional appearance and good hygiene
* Respect for all co-workers and guests
* Pride in your work by creating positive energy, excitement and fun
* Able to work 7 days a week
* Demonstrate positive behaviors; smiling, being polite and courteous
* Able to develop a camaraderie with team members
* Ability to live in close quarters, share limited space with other cabin-mates