Overview: Maintains Crew Member areas in a clean and orderly condition by performing the following essential duties and responsibilities. Incumbent will be responsible to clean FM cabins.
- In accordance with Cruises’ Pillars of Safety, Service and Style, as well as through Connections, each employee conducts oneself in a professional and courteous manner at all times. This consists of physical and verbal interactions with guests or fellow shipboard employees and/or in the presence of guest contact and Crew Member (CM) areas.
- Each housekeeping shipboard employee reports to their workstation assignment on time and properly groomed and dressed according to standards. This includes a clean uniform, nametag, and any other uniform related item.
- Operates steam cleaning equipment, scrapers, brooms and variety of hand and power tools. Uses a variety of cleaners and chemicals depending on the cleaning needs. Mixes water and detergents or acids in container to prepare cleaning solutions, according to specifications.
- Cleans CM area bathrooms, elevators, offices, corridors, public areas and FM quarters.
- Cleans carpet, upholstery, floors walls, ceilings, draperies, windows, and room accessories to remove effects of smoke, dust, water and other damages such as dirt, soot, stains, mildew, and excess water and moisture.
Sprays or fogs carpet, upholstery, and accessories with fabric onditioners and protectors, deodorizers and disinfectants.
- Dusts furniture, and washes windows, walls, ceilings, woodwork, and door panels. Polishes brass and other metal fixtures.
- Notifies management of the malfunction of lighting, heating and ventilation equipment.
- Maintains cleaning supplies and equipment in good working order. Requisitions supplies and equipment when needed.
- Maintains current knowledge of the ship’s regular events and special functions by reviewing all available data, (daily newsletter, etc.), in order to provide guests with accurate information to answer questions.
- Assists the food service personnel in the collection of soiled glasses, china, cutlery, etc. throughout the vessel. Transports to designated collection areas.
- Empties and cleans wastebaskets and ashtrays and transports trash to disposal area.
- Transports guest’s luggage to assigned areas during embarkation and disembarkation.
- Handles ship stores on loading days, as scheduled by management and supervisor.
- Participates in the loading of hotel stores to the central storeroom.
- Is aware of, and/or acquires the necessary knowledge to comply with the ship’s standard operation, in order to assist guests and FMs with inquiries.
- Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work-related activities as required.
- Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position. Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management. Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position. Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management. Financial Responsibilities Financial responsibilities for budget, expenses and/or achievement of revenue targets.
- This position is responsible for cost containment through the proper use, handling and maintenance of records, reports, supplies and equipment. Motivational Responsibilities People management responsibilities to ensure optimal performance of the function.
- This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Minimum hiring, language and physical requirements to perform the job.
- Minimum one to two years previous cleaning experience, preferably in an upscale hotel, resort or cruise line (shipboard experience preferred).
- Knowledge of proper cleaning techniques, requirements and use of equipment.
- Knowledge of proper chemical handling.
- Ability to apply customer service skills, according to Pillars of Safety, Service and Style, when interacting with guests and coworkers.
- Completion of high school or basic education equivalency preferred. Internal Candidate Requirements: In addition to the stated hiring requirements, internal candidates are required to fulfill the following:
- Completion of one contract with a performance rating of satisfactory or above.
- Ability to speak English clearly, distinctly and cordially with guests.
- Ability to read and write English in order to understand and interpret written procedures. This includes the ability to give and receive instructions in written and verbal forms and to effectively present information and respond to questions from guests, supervisors and co-workers.
- Ability to speak additional languages such as Spanish, French or German preferred.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth erception, and ability to adjust focus.
- All shipboard employees must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. Full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats. Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.