- The Assistant Butcher is responsible for delivering products of the highest quality in terms of freshness, taste, and consistency, with strict adherence to Public Health guidelines.
- Assistant Butchers are responsible for defrosting, cleaning, grinding, and cutting all protein items in accordance with standardized procedures and corporate specifications.
- He/she reports directly to the Chief Butcher.
- The Assistant Butcher is responsible for following all standardized procedures, safety regulations, and notifying the Chief Butcher or Butcher of any shortages or discrepancies in products or ingredients.
- The Assistant Butcher is responsible for keeping their immediate work area clean at all times.
- Knowledge of all basic cooking techniques and skills are required, including: knife skills, basic cuts, and all cooking methods.
- Knowledge of all basic equipment is required, including: grinders and slicers.
- Comprehensive understanding of composition, structure, and quality factors of all proteins is required.
- Must comprehend how structural factors including muscle, fibers, and connective techniques impact appropriate cooking methods, recipes and fabrication.
- Must comprehend the inspection criteria, quality grading, and yield grading.
- Must comprehend the aging process including green meat.
- Minimum one year experience fabricating all proteins is required and must also understand storage requirements and implications.
- Minimum of one year experience in a butcher shop is required. Formal culinary training from a recognized educational institution may substitute for this requirement at an equivalent rate.
- High School Diploma or foreign equivalent is required.
- Culinary School 2-4 year degree or foreign equivalent is preferred