Job Summary and Essential Job Functions:
The Deck Steward is Responsible for the set-up, maintenance & breakdown of deck equipment & other guest amenities that are related to the position.
- Provides deck chairs, towels, blankets & any other requirements or request to guests on the open decks.
- Maintains the deck areas clean & tidy, with all furniture neatly arranged & in place if not in use.
- Distributes clean towels to guests on the deck & at the gangway during port days.
- Assists with & performs other beverage services, support tasks & guest services.
- Safe storage of all deck equipment, such as tables, chairs, umbrellas & cushions according to safety regulations.
- Sanitation of the assigned areas & amenities at all times, in accordance with Public Health rules and regulations. Follows guidelines relating to the correct use, sanitation & maintenance of all relating deck equipment.
- Workstation is properly stocked, set & prepared to meet the daily business demands.
- Collects all related stock requisitions having the approval of the Bar Manager.
- Effectively communicates any problems, challenges, complaints or service difficulties in a timely manner to the immediate Supervisor on duty.
- Maintains an attentive & proactive approach, offering assistance to guests in need.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Six months of related experience on board ships, or in a land based hotel, or related hospitality establishment is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced verbal and written level of English is required.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
* While performing the essential functions of this job, all team members are required to stand; walk long distances on the ship; use hands to touch, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk, hear, taste and smell. All vessel positions require repetitive motion of bending, climbing, going up and down stairs and lifting more than 25 pounds. This job requires specific vision abilities to include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
* All team members must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. All vessel positions require full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats.
* Work within different temperature changes—indoors to outdoors.
* Able to pass basic safety course.