Position Summary and Essential Functions:
The Provision Master’s primary responsibility is the management of all shipboard food, beverage, chinaware, glassware, hollow ware/flatware and table linen stores, to ensure that standard inventory practices and USPH standards are maintained within budgeted guidelines. This position reports directly to the F&B Director. The major thrust of the position is to create and maintain a professional operation and control storeroom inventories. Supervises the Provisions team onboard and periodically recommends appropriate actions including promotions and performance reviews.
This includes all practices, procedures and training. A procedural approach to managing the entire onboard Provisions department must be employed, utilizing modern management principles as well as incorporating technological innovations where practical in order to ensure proper inventory management and support to the Food and Beverage division.
* Lead by example utilizing a “hands-on” approach to management.
* Establish and develop a highly motivated, pro-active Provision’s team with the highest ethical standards.
* Review payroll reports to track overtime and to ensure that crew members and supervisors are in compliance with
* Work/Rest Hour policies and practices.
* Attend F&B Management meetings. Inform the team of product shortages/overstock and slow moving items.
* Ensure that Storekeepers are providing continuous training to their crew members regarding product identification and company specification. Participate in training sessions when possible.
* Ensure cross-training between storerooms is in place.
* Monitor crew member performance. Identify strengths and weaknesses and provide timely feedback to the individual. * Make recommendations to the F&B Director regarding succession planning.
* Ensure that crew members are being recognized for their accomplishments.
* Communicate staffing needs to the F&B Director as needed.
* Complete daily walk-through of the food stores with the F&B Director and Executive Chef.
* Ensure that the company’s standards are maintained in the following areas:
- Onboard storeroom management
- Par level accuracy
- Inventory Management System
- Shoreside ordering schedules
Inter-Departmental ordering schedules/internal requisitions
- Public Health
* Ensure that inventories are conducted for all stores on a weekly basis and that inventories are conducted in accordance with company policy.
* Conduct daily spot checks in all of the stores to verify inventory accuracy. Once a day, these spot checks are to be conducted with the F&B Director and Executive Chef present.
* Monitor slow moving item reports to ensure proper stock rotations (FIFO) and that discontinued items are not being reordered. Monitor depletion plans for discontinued items to eliminate dead stock.
* On loading day, ensure that the vessel is provisioned according to the loading sequence and that temperature sensitive items are handled with first priority.
* Ensure that all food products are stored in the appropriate room according to product type and temperature.
* Ensure that the container loading manifest matches the items delivered to the vessel.
* Ensure that all food and beverage items delivered to the vessel are in compliance with company specification and are of the highest quality.
* Ensure accurate receipt of all food items ordered and delivered to the vessel.
* Ensure that stock rotation is managed in accordance to the FIFO system.
* Ensure that all food product received is within their use by date.
* Prepare and submit all required inventory reports to the Inventory Accountant in a timely manner.
* Prepare Inventory Variance Reports as required.
* Ensure that items received that are not in compliance with company specification are documented on a Q&C report, along with photographic support, and submitted to the Corporate Office.
* Maintains all food and beverage related inventories, storerooms and ensures accurate inventory counts and levels, while identifying cost and expense reductions.
* Responsible for maintaining ending inventory values within targeted guidelines.
* Responsible for ensuring that all food and beverage related orders placed for the vessel are in accordance with budgetary guidelines.
* Ensures that all inventory transactions are accurately documented and approved by appropriate management.
* Continuous monitoring to ensure accuracy of inventory received, issued, spoilage, breakage and transfers.
* Responsible for reconciling inventory levels with the inventory management system and investigating discrepancies as per company policy.
* Responsible for reporting any cost, quantity or unit of measure variances within the Inventory Management System.
- Associates Degree or foreign equivalent in a related discipline is required. Prior restaurant management experience may substitute for this educational requirement at an equivalent rate.
- Minimum of three years experience as a Provision Master in a large cruise ship or Purchasing Manager for a multi-venue, high volume, luxury hotel or resort is required.
- Minimum of five years experience with high volume food and beverage purchasing is required.
- Minimum of five years experience implementing and setting up food and beverage storerooms is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar.
- Intermediate to Advanced skills in typing and computer software skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Fidelio Cruise, Micros), including an Inventory Control Management system (e.g.: Fidelio, Stratten Warren, AS400, MXP, People Soft) is required.