Overview: The major goal of the position is to ensure an effective running and control of the Butcher Shop in line with the Company’s Rules and regulations.
Authority: Over the Butcher Shop and a team of Assistant Butchers.
- Responsible for the thawing, butchering and preparation of all the Meat and Poultry to be used in the Daily Menus.
- Must have a complete knowledge of the United States Public Health Rules and Regulations and ensure that they are followed on a daily basis.
- Ensures the cleaning of the Butcher Shop and Thawing Rooms as per the Executive Chef schedule, exercising proper methods to minimize equipment damages.
- Must have his working area ready for any announced or unannounced United States Public Health type inspection.
- Duties include the storing of the received meats and poultry into the freezers on the loading days.
- Responsible for the Requisition and Transportation of the necessary items from the freezers to the thawing rooms as per the Executive Chef thawing schedule.
- Must ensure that product yields and portions are according with the Butcher Manual provided by the Main Office and that proper use is given to all the resulting trimmings.
- Must complete all the Daily Butcher Recaps as required by the Food Manager.
- Assists the Provision Master with the Inventory Taking of all Meat and Poultry Storage Rooms.
- Ensure that his subordinates come to work on time, and that personal appearance, uniform and personal hygiene are in accordance with the Company’s Rules and Regulations.
- Must be familiar with the Ship’s Rules and Regulations and participate in all required Safety Training Emergency Life Boat Drills.
- Must be present in an early standby each time the ship is subject to have a USPH inspection.
- Participates in safety drills according to instructions.
- Complies with Island Cruises’ safety and pollution prevention regulations and operating procedures. Education / Training
- Culinary School degree and a minimum of two years experience as a Head Cook in a Hotel or Convention Banqueting Service.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in written and verbal English and possess good mathematical skills.
- Other languages are considered a plus.
- Ability to communicate with his Head of Department and subordinates alike.