Title: Galley Steward
Department: Galley Department
Main function: Responsible for Cleanliness in the Main Galley, and other Food preparation Areas onboard
Reports to: Executive Chef, Sanitation Officer,
Direct Subordinates: Galley Steward, (Dishwashers, Potwashers, Day & Night Cleaners, Garbageman)
Next in Command: Executive Chef, Sanitation Officer
Responsibilities: Galleys, crew mess, officer’s/staff mess, waste disposal
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND ACTIVITIES:
- Participate out all inspections as outlined in the Hotel Management Manuals and as requested by the Sanitation Officer.
b) Maintaining Standard Procedures
- Check on administration and working procedures and ensure all are carried out as stated in the Hotel Management Manuals & ISM Manual.
c) Cost Control
- Ensure that cleaning supplies and consumables are used economically and wastage is minimised
- Always act in the best interests of the company with regard to minimising costs.
- All machines and equipment must be kept in good repair and in clean condition.
- Supervise instruction program on handling of equipment for new or re-rated crew members. Handling procedures of already trained crew members to be re-checked.
- Regular inspections on the conditions of equipment must be carried out and an up to date AVO list to be maintained. Follow up on action required, outstanding repair list to be checked on a regular basis.
e) Waste Disposal
- Ensure that all waste produced and handled by the catering department complies with
rules set by MARPOL and the ship. Ensure all workers are fully trained and that
complete records of waste discharge are kept as per ISM manual.
f) Public Health & Hygiene
Ensure that all Utilities in your Department stores, restaurant and bars, work according to the standards set in the Hotel Management Manuals & ISM Manual. (Vessel Sanitation Regulations). Spot-checks to be made on a regular daily basis.
- End of cruise general cleaning to be done
g) Other Duties
-take charge of Life Raft Station/Assist in evacuation of pax & crew or otherwise as per vessels master list
Lead subordinates successfully into productive working methods by setting an example and utilising all available management tools (Hotel Management Manuals and checklists).
Provide a two-way line of communication for Staff. Dealing with day to day problems, including personal problems.
Deal with proposals and suggestions from Management and Staff.
c) Disciplinary Procedures
- Ensure that correct disciplinary procedures are adhered to especially with regard to correct handling of written warnings and record of same.
- Follow up on disciplinary reports.
d) Maintaining Standards
- It is expected, that the Galley Steward is fully aware of the company standards as outlined in the Hotel Management Manuals. The Galley Steward is expected to know the job description of each crew member whom reports to him.
- Ensure, that the set standards are kept and crewmembers work according to their respective job descriptions. -
- Corrective action and on the job training to be taken to ensure standards are upheld. Training records to be kept.
- Completion of High School
- Proficiency in English
- Ability to work under pressure
- Leadership skills