Under the direction of the Youth Program Manager the Teen Counselor is responsible for the safety, coordination, scheduling, and implementation of teen programs. In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed which may include hosting events, and a rotation into the youth programs.
In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- Teen Counselor must be passionate about working with children and embrace the cruise line's mission.
- With guidance from the Youth Program Manager, the Teen Counselor is responsible for creating a teen activity booklet listing all of the scheduled activities for the sailing.
- Teen Counselor must have the ability to coordinate with other departments to create exciting and unique programs for teens such as Mocktail, Mixology, Cooking, Dance, Singing, Improv etc.
- Teen Counselor must be proficient in all DJ equipment as well as light and sound equipment and have the ability to train other Teen Counselors in the usage of the equipment.
- As a member of the cruise staff, the Teen Counselor is responsible for implementing the scheduled social, entertainment, sporting, recreational, theatrical, and craft programs/activities while ensuring that each activity takes place safely and promptly as scheduled.
- Teen Counselor must be capable of running programs in large and small group settings while being consistent with program content.
- Teen Counselor must be comfortable speaking on a microphone and be an effective Host/Hostess with the ability to engage large groups of people of a variety of ages in a public venue.
- Teen Counselor must be comfortable with dressing up in costume and performing character roles.
- Teen Counselor must be comfortable speaking with parents regarding general ship information as well as Youth and Teen Program policies and guidelines.
- Teen Counselor must be a leader and have confidence when handling guest concerns such as addressing disruptive behavior and implementing the discipline policy.
- Each Teen Counselor must have the ability to work harmoniously with cruise staff members, as well as with all other shipboard departments.
- Minimum of two years experience in a combination of programming and implementing teen recreation, teen sports, and teen theatrical performance for ages 13-17 is required.
- Minimum one year experience in programming and implementing theatrical/drama related activities is required; knowledge of teen trends and activities, music, games, video games, and movies is preferred.
- One year experience with special needs programming strongly preferred.
- Intermediate verbal and writing skills in at least one other language such as German, Spanish, French or Italian is preferred.
- Intermediate to Advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced skills in typing and computer software skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook) is required.
- One year experience communicating via microphone, using/programming DJ and light/sound equipment is preferred.
- Unique hobbies are a plus: to include but are not limited to: Juggling, Theater, Gymnastics, Sports, Dance, Singing.
- Bachelors Degree or foreign equivalent in a course of study related or relevant to childcare is required.
- Current and active CPR/First Aid Certifications from a recognized educational institution are required.