Seasonal Youth Counselor - Spring 2019
Job Summary and Essential Job Functions:
- Under the direction of the Youth Program Manager, the Youth Counselor is responsible for the supervision and control of all youth and teen activities as it relates to the Passenger Programs and Entertainment Department. In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- Responsible for implementing any of the scheduled social, entertainment, sporting, recreational, theatrical, and craft programs/activities for guests aged 2 – 17 years old while ensuring that each activity takes place safely and promptly as scheduled.
- Be accessible to and approachable with guests, both young and old. Must be a patient listener and offer hospitality service to the guests even when the situation falls outside of the Youth Programs.
- Assists with maintenance of storage, inventory and ordering of all equipment, supplies, gifts and prizes, which are specifically utilized in the Youth Programs.
- Work as a team member in cooperation with other Cruise Staff members, as well as with all other shipboard departments.
- Associate’s Degree in related field and/or currently enrolled in accredited college degree program.
- One year experience in a combination of programming and implementing youth recreation, youth sports, and/or childhood education for ages 2-17 required.
- CPR/First-Aid, AED, training certifications valid for one year.
- Knowledge of theatrical/drama-related activities.
- Familiarization with using a microphone, DJ equipment, and sound and lighting equipment.
- Experience with special needs programming/implementation preferred.
- Extrovert, quick and critical thinker, witty, personable, and articulate.
- Must be service-oriented and have the ability to take direction.
- Proficiency in ability to read, write and effectively communicate in one language in addition to English preferred.
- Proficiency: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook.
- Unique hobbies are a plus, to include but are not limited to: Juggling, Theater, Gymnastics, Sports, Dance, Singing.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, all team members are required to stand; walk long distances on the ship; use hands to touch, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear and taste or smell.
- All vessel positions require repetitive motion of bending, climbing, going up and down stairs and lifting more than 25 pounds. This job requires specific vision abilities to include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- All team members must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. All vessel positions require full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats.
- Work within different temperature changes—indoors to outdoors.
- Able to pass basic safety course.