In line with corporate offices guidelines and under the supervision of the Maître D’Hôtel, the Sommelier oversees the inventory of all wine lists and trains of all dining service and bar colleagues in order to meet revenue targets assigned.
• Provides outstanding wine service in all restaurants, assists in the creation of wine menus;
• Pair wines with food: recommends wines that will complement the different styles of cuisine and different methods of food preparation;
• Increases wine sales by demonstrating personal attention, applying appropriate selling techniques and focusing on customer needs;
• Reports any complaints about wine service to the Maître D’Hôtel, ensuring fast and courteous response to guests;
• Provides wine knowledge training to dining service and bar colleagues on a regular basis;
• Oversees the inventory of wine and produces reports.
Skills, competencies, experience:
• Fluent English, oral and written. Any additional European language is considered an advantage (Italian, Portuguese, German, Spanish and French);
• High School certificate;
• Sommelier certificate;
• At least 1 year experience as Sommelier in 4/5 star restaurant, hotel or resort;
• Excellent knowledge of fine wines and premium beverages;
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
• Passion for hospitality and customer service driven;
• Computer literacy;
• Cruise industry experience is an advantage;
• STCW95 certification is compulsory (basic fire fighting, personal survival techniques, elementary first aid, personal security and social responsibility);
• A recognised medical certification is required before starting to work on board.
VISA REQUIREMENTS (if any)
• Possess a valid passport and when possible a seaman book copy.