Position: Wine Steward
Job Summary & Essential Functions:
* The Wine Steward is responsible for the entire onboard wine program to include sales, inventory and proper requisitioning procedures. This position will also assist the wait staff with selling of wines during dinner service in the Main Dining Rooms and provides overall wine service.
* Responsible for selling beverage during meal hours in Main Dining Rooms or designated venue and provides overall beverage service.
* Works in a station designated by the Head Sommelier and approved by the Restaurant Manager and follows the daily schedule, which is posted weekly in the wine cellar.
* In addition to serving beverages his/her duties include the re-stocking of the wine cellar on a daily basis, and once a week may be requested to work during the loading of wines onto to the ship.
* Should be knowledgeable about the wine list and able to discuss and suggest wines to guests who ask for advice. The knowledge of how to pair wine with food is imperative.
* Responsible for achieving the guest satisfaction targets established for the ship in wine service.
* Follows all company wine service standards and sequences of service while on duty.
* Minimum of two years’ experience as a Wine Steward or Bartender on a cruise ship or a combination of ship and large hotel/bar experience in these positions.
* Supervisory knowledge in running a shift in a large restaurant and/or managing and servicing a large service bar.
* Proven track record in meeting and exceeding revenue targets, service standards and guest satisfaction results.
* Above industry average knowledge of beverage and wine products is required.
* Computer literacy and knowledge of Word Perfect and Excel is preferred.
* Experience with Micros point of sales equipment is preferred
* Secondary Education degree or equivalent is mandatory.
* Courses in safety, environmental, public health and sanitation regulations and procedures are required.
* Proof of continuous participation in wine and other beverage courses and seminars is preferred.