Major cruise company is looking for Sommeliers. Sommeliers play a critical role in enhancing our guests dining experience by providing excellent wine service in the different F&B outlets on board our ships. In addition to suggesting and serving wine to our guests, they are expected to use up-selling techniques to promote and improve sales. Sommeliers are in charge of restocking the wine cellar on daily basis, and may be requested to participate in the loading of wines to the ship once a week. Five years of experience in a similar role (or an equivalent combination of experience and education), exceptional wine and food pairing knowledge, and service oriented personality are required for this position.
Essentials Duties and Responsibilities:
* Provides wine service to guests in the restaurant and buffet restaurant. In some cases will be responsible for providing bar services other than wine.
* Works in a station designated by the Bar Manager and approved by the Restaurant Manager and follows the daily schedule, which is posted weekly in the wine cellar.
* In addition to serving wine his/her duties include the re-stocking of the wine cellar on a daily basis, and once a week may be requested to work during the loading of wines onto to the ship.
* Ensures personal appearance, personal hygiene and uniform appearance are at all times in accordance with the company policy.
* Should be knowledgeable about the wine list and able to discuss and suggest wines to guests who ask for advice. The knowledge of how to pair wine with food is imperative.
* Has a clear understanding of the company’s service standards.
* Applies salesmanship techniques in order to achieve maximum sales, which will result in higher personal compensation.
* Must be able to reach reasonable and attainable sales targets set by the company. This requires self-confidence and commitment to the sales goals.
* Reports all guests’ queries, discrepancies or suggestions to histinapay/her immediate supervisor. Must have full knowledge of the cashless system on board the ship in order to process all transactions accordingly.
* Duties include the cleaning and sanitizing of his/her working area and working utensils following the United States Public Health rules and regulations and all times.
* Must be available to work extra duties or longer hours if necessary.
* Other duties related to the Bar Department may be assigned from time to time.
* Is aware of, and/or acquires the necessary knowledge to comply with the ship’s standard operation, in order to assist guests and crew with inquiries.
* Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work-related activities as required.
* Performs related duties as required.
* Minimum of five years beverage-related experience (shipboard experience preferred), or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
* Completion of a minimum of two contracts as Bar Server/Restaurant Waiter with a performance rating of satisfactory or above, along with demonstrated leadership skills.
* Completion of high school or basic education equivalency required.
* Ability to analyze and interpret documents such as recipes and manuals.
* Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, tips, proportions, percentages.
* Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
* Ability to speak English clearly, distinctly and cordially with guests.
*Ability to read and write English in order to understand and interpret written procedures. This includes the ability to give and receive instructions in written and verbal forms and to effectively present information and respond to questions from guests, supervisors and
* Ability to speak additional languages such as Spanish, French, Portuguese, Mandarin, or German preferred.