A prestigious cruise line is now searching for Commis Cooks.
* Collaborates with the assigned station-head, usually the Chef de Partie or Sous Chef to review the requirements of the day’s meals and time frames for restaurant service. Takes part in ordering and cost controlling food requisitions to avoid over production and unnecessary food wastage. Studies menu to estimate food and time requirements to ensure speed and efficiency. Follows Company recipe to produce consistent results.
* Practices at all times HACCP and onboard sanitation and hygiene standards, in compliance with ship’s international itinerary. Acquires proficiency in regards to onboard public health control plan to ensure all foods, served and prepared, are safe for consumption. Records food temperature in Blast Chiller log, prepares other required logs. Learn about OPP and practices common procedures to prevent outbreak.
* Works with assigned station team members or all others in a cooperative, productive and effective manner. Provide new employees a positive example and guidance on daily activities and familiarization of the work place.
* Knows and operates all equipment according to Company’s standard operating procedures. Adjusts thermostat controls to regulate temperature of refrigerators, ovens, broilers, grills, roasters, steam kettles, etc. Tests equipment to ensure accuracy of temperature gauges, heating or cooling elements, etc. Reports to station head all
malfunctions and requests necessary repairs.
* Maintains cleanliness of all utensils and equipment in their assigned section, taking care not to splash water inside the electrical components to prevent damage. Handle carefully all equipment by placing them in the right storage areas and never allowing anything to drop onto the floor while transporting to other location. Report immediately to supervisor any equipment that is out of order or needs to be repaired. Report immediately to supervisor any equipment that is out of order and needs repair.
* Pick up food items from the provision room and deliver food products to certain outlets. Remove empty cartons and boxes in the provision area and bring them to incinerator room. Practice correct garbage separation. Do not use vacuums in feed units in the galley.
* Organize and prepare mis en place. Measures and mixes ingredients according to recipe to prepare soups, salads, gravies, desserts, sauces, and casseroles. Evaluate foods being cooked by tasting, smelling, and determining the correct food temperature by using a calibrated and sanitized thermometer.
* Works in various galley stations that prepare meat, fish, vegetables, and other foods for baking, roasting, broiling, grilling, braising, sautéing, steaming, etc.
* Perform multitask activities such as wash, peel, cut and shred fruits and vegetables. Butcher chicken, fish and shellfish. Cut, trim and bone meat prior to cooking or serving.
* Places food items, portions and garnishments in accordance with corporate recipe standard. Ensure all foods on plates are correctly portioned and served uniformly. While working in front of the house or buffet areas must be able to explain ingredients in the menu and preparation techniques.
* While working at the company’s private destination, consider safety of one’s self, colleagues and guests. Be familiar with the nearest first aid station, location of safety equipment and routes around the island’s work station. Ensure to provide guests with professional and friendly service at all times. Responsible to secure Company property and food products brought to the island. Must work in best sanitary condition as applied onboard including standard of hygiene and cleanliness.
* Minimize over production by planning and referring to previous meal count records. Control waste by batch cooking and maintaining the food under correct temperature.
* Cleans workstations before and after meal preparation. Follows onboard cleaning procedures for work surfaces, and all related equipment and utensils. Assembles
workstation for the next meal preparation shift. This includes cleaning of food storage areas and refrigerators.
* Practice ergonomic exercise such as stretching before reporting for duty. Required to report first stage of illness or health disorder to immediate supervisors.
* Understand and follow Time and Attendance policy, take initiative to prevent unnecessary overtime by organizing work station and planning ahead by anticipating menu requirements. Attends meetings, training activities, company culinary training course and all other work-related activities on time.
* Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position. Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
* Proof of cook apprenticeship completion or equivalency.
* Minimum 3 - 4 years kitchen experience in a 4 or 5 star hotel, restaurant or high volume food service facility.
* Ability to read, interpret and demonstrate the preparation of recipes for all basic meat, fish, sauce and side dishes. The demonstration includes advanced cooking methods such as braise, sauté, broil and grill and the use of a variety of knifes to slice, dice, chop, julienne, etc.
* Ability to work with minimum supervision and able to train members of the team.
* Extensive knowledge of food handling procedures with regard to public health standards.
* Ability to work positively and cooperatively in a diverse team environment to meet overall established time frames for the entire food service operation.
* Ability to learn and utilize knowledge of policies and practices involved in the human resources function. Ability to supervise an international team of entry-level cooks and chefs in a positive and productive manner by motivating, developing and managing employees as they work. Ability to utilize and administer the disciplinary action process through coaching and counseling to improve performance or recommend termination of employment.
* Ability to communicate tactfully with department heads, coworkers and other shipboard employees to resolve problems and negotiate resolutions.
* Completion of high school or basic education equivalency preferred.
* Computer knowledge is required.
* Ability to speak English clearly, distinctly and cordially with guests.
* Ability to read and write English in order to understand and interpret written procedures.
* Ability to speak additional languages such as Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, French or German preferred.
* Be able to compute basic arithmetic.