Reporting: The officers are assigned.to navigation watch and report any unusual or abnormal situations directly to the Captain, according to STCW.
It is the officers’ responsibility to cooperate with the Staff Captain for the maintenance of the ship and its safety equipment.
An officer on duty’s responsibilities include:
- Keep safe navigation watch
- Monitor ship’s performance
- Keep charts updated
- Prepare and maintain relevant reports and logs
- Prepare route planning
- Perform relevant tests and checks related to navigation and maneuvering
- Assist the chief Officer in safety drills and other safety related duties
- English, written and spoken
- STCW watchkeeping certificate relevant to the position held
- All required STCW certifications for the size, nationality and type of the vessel
- Leadership qualities
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work under stress