Bar Servers suggest, serve and sell beverages to guests seated at tables or standing in bars, cocktail lounges and during special events throughout the vessel.
* Reports to assigned workstation assignment on time and properly groomed and dressed.
* Confirms venue ambiance (lighting, temperature, music)
* Greets and converses with guests to answer questions, provide information, promote drink specials and/or up-sell to premium brands. Suggests alternative drinks if drink request is not available in current inventory.
* Is aware of food allergies and is able to recommend alternatives 4. when needed.
* Takes all beverage orders and relays it to Bartender. Asks for appropriate identification to determine minimum drinking age.
* Actively follows ServSafe responsible service of alcoholic beverages.
* Collects order from Bartender and reviews to ensure drink order is correct and is served in appropriate glass and adds appropriate garnish. Discusses discrepancies with Bartender to complete the order. Places glasses on tray, and serves to guests with cocktail napkins.
* Accurately computes bill and presents for payment. Collects charge card for drinks served and inputs accurate data in the point-of-sale system. Calculates tips, discounts, percentages and refunds as needed. Presents statement to guest for signature and collects payment.
* Takes orders for and serves light meals and hors d'oeuvres.
* Ensures stations and/or tables are clean, orderly and properly set with matches, clean ashtrays and beverage menus, etc. Removes empty or dirty glasses and bottles and returns them to the bar or galley.
* Works independently and without immediate supervision. Promotes teamwork and provides on-the-job training to Bar Utility personnel to strengthen their current performance.
* May perform Bar Server duties during special events and parties not located in the bars or lounges. May work in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
* Provides assistance for the set up, service and break down for private functions and weddings.
* At the beginning and ending of each shift, completes side duties that include preparing the areas for service and ensuring proper closing procedures.
* Assists in the restocking of the bar locations and provision areas.
* Attends additional trainings for specialty locations such as Ben & Jerry, Café Latte-tudes, Boleros and works the area per the schedule.
* Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work-related activities as required.
* Performs related duties as required. Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
- Interacting with guests or fellow shipboard employees and/or being in the presence of guest contact and crew areas
- Greeting and conversing with guests to answer questions, provide information, and promote drink specials and/or up-sell to premium brands.
- Bar Servers also suggest alternative drinks if drink request is not available in current inventory.
- They provide excellent customer service and ensure all guests safety comes first when serving alcoholic beverages.
- Bar Servers follow cleaning standards such as USPH and HACCP guidelines, ServeSafe, environmental, and workplace safety policies and procedures.
- Participating in all safety training sessions and drills
* Completion of basic education equivalency required.
* Two to three years previous bar server experience, preferably in a 4 or 5 star restaurant, lounge, hotel or cruise ship.
* Ability to work independently to, quickly and accurately, take and serve drink orders.
* Basic knowledge of liquor, beer, wine brands and quality.
* Experience working with cash registers and/or related computerized systems.
* Ability to perform basic math functions with regard to calculating tips, discounts and percentages.
* Ability to apply customer service skills.
* Ability to provide on-the-job training to Bar Utility personnel.
* Ability to speak English clearly, distinctly and cordially with guests. Ability to speak additional languages such as Spanish, French or German preferred.
* All international applicants must have the ability to obtain C1/D visa (and other relevant visas) when applicable.
* Must meet all physical requirements, including the ability to participate in emergency life-saving drills and required training.
- Previous experience in this role at a restaurant / hotel / resort / cruise ship
- Minimum 20 years of age
- Ability to work in a team withing multinational environment
- Good command of the English language
- Ability to obtain C1/D or other applicable visas
- Ability to maintain a high level of energy and take a proactive and strategic approach to dealing with challenges/issues
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with team members at all levels of the organization.