The Pantry Chef is responsible for food preparation, and assisting in the storing and inventory of food and related products. In addition you assist and support the Steward in washing dishes and cleaning the galley.
- Prepares salads, garnishes, appetizers, dressings, cookies, desserts, etc. as directed by the Head Chef.
- Assists the Head Chef and/or the Assistant Chef in preparing food items as directed.
- Assists the Head Chef with supervising/training the galley steward.
- Assists with cleaning all counter tops and working surfaces in the galley, and clean the galley sinks and dishwasher.
- Adheres to all CDC Vessel Sanitation Program and Health Canada requirements.
- Maintains and organizes the storeroom, galley cupboards, refrigerators, and freezers.
- Assists/supports the Steward with scraping/soaking of all dishes, pots & pans, cooking utensils, and eating utensils in accordance with applicable regulations.
- Assist/supports the Steward in loading, running and removing items from the dishwashing machine and placing items in appropriate storage locations.
- Assists in the proper storage, wrapping, handling and display of food items.
- Rotates present stock, disposes of spoiled items, and replaces with provisions and other supplies as received.
Safety and Security
- Participates in on board safety training, meetings and drills, as directed by the Captain, including fire, abandon ship, man overboard, flooding and medical emergencies.
- Participates in shore side training as required by the company.
- Familiar with the ISM codes and requirements
- Maintains familiarity with all duties under the company Safety Management System and Emergency Station Billet duties.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum 1 year recent cooking and/or food service experience.
- Good verbal communication skills.
- Detail oriented and thorough; able to follow through on assigned tasks.
- Ability to work independently using creativity and initiative to complete assigned tasks.
- Strong time management skills; able to handle multiple tasks, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Work well under pressure.
- Ability to get along with co-workers and support a team environment.
- Current First Aid/CPR certification required.
- STCW Basic Safety Training preferred.
- STCW Crowd Management preferred.
The physical demands are described in the Pantry Chef Job Analysis sheet and is available to all applicants.
The Pantry Chef works 12 hours per day of varied shifts, approximately 8 weeks on, 4 weeks off rotational schedule.