The Assistant Chef is responsible for assisting in the preparation of all guest and crew meals. In addition, the Assistant Chef may prep, load stores and provisions, clean, and wash dishes.
- Assists the Head Chef in the preparation of all guest and crew meals following Company menu matrix and recipes.
- Participates in the actual cooking and preparation of food items as a member of the galley staff - – primary responsibilities include baking breads, desserts, and other prep as requested by Head Chef.
- Assists Head Chef in training of the Pantry Chefs, other Assistant Chefs, and galley stewards.
- Helps maintain the cleanliness of the galley area and food storage rooms.
- Adheres to all CDC Vessel Sanitation Program and Health Canada requirements.
- Assists in dishwashing as needed and/or assigned.
- Assists in loading, handling and proper storage of food and related items to maintain inventory at appropriate stocking levels and to ensure proper rotation of perishable food items.
Safety and Security
- Participates in on board safety training, meetings and drills, as directed by the Captain, including fire, abandon ship, man overboard, flooding and medical emergencies.
- Participates in shore side training as required by the company.
- Familiar with the ISM codes and requirements.
- Maintains familiarity with all duties under the company Safety Management System and Emergency Station Billet duties.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum of 2 years restaurant/banquet cooking in positions of increasing responsibility including line cooking and prep work.
- Good time management skills; ability to handle multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to get along with co-workers and support a team environment.
- Experience with passenger vessels preferred.
- Current First Aid/CPR certification required.
- STCW Basic Safety Training preferred.
- STCW Crowd Management preferred.
- Vessel Sanitation Public Health preferred
The physical demands are described in the Assistant Chef Job Analysis sheet and are available to all applicants.
This position works 12 hours per day, approximately 8 weeks on, 4 weeks off rotational schedule.