The Steward is responsible for cleaning the guest cabins, and providing dining room service for all guest meals. In addition, the Steward will rotate into the galley and wash dishes and assist in food preparation.
- Cleans assigned guest cabins; make beds, clean sinks, mirrors, showers, windows, toilet, empty trash, dust, vacuum, deodorize, and change towels per guest request, etc.
- Sets up and clears tables for guest meals as assigned.
- Takes meal orders and serves meals.
- May be assigned to prepare early riser buffet and/or re-cap lounge service.
Galley Cleaning – Dishwashing - Food Preparation:
- Wash dishes for up to 6 meals per day (3 crew, 3 guest).
- Scrapes/soaks all dishes, pots & pans, cooking utensils, and eating utensils in accordance with applicable regulations.
- Cleans all counter tops and working surfaces in the galley, and cleans the galley sinks and dishwasher.
- Assist in food preparation such as chopping and plating.
- Loads, runs, and removes items from the dishwashing machine and places in appropriate locations.
- Adheres to all CDC Vessel Sanitation Program & Health Canada requirements.
Safety & Security:
- Participates in on board safety training, meetings and drills, as directed by the Captain. Including fire, abandon ship, man overboard, flooding and medical emergencies.
- Complies with all CDC and Health Canada Vessel Sanitation requirements.
- Participates in shore side training as required by the company.
- Familiar with the ISM codes and requirements.
- Maintains familiarity with all duties under the company Safety Management System and Emergency Station Billet Duties.
- May relieve bartender for brief periods of time.
- Serves as a member of the emergency team.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience with food service strongly preferred. (Comfortable with knives and food preparation)
- Experience with housekeeping, hotel industry, preferred.
- Good verbal communication skills.
- Good customer service skills; professional demeanor, ability to use necessary levels of tact and courtesy.
- Detail oriented and thorough; able to follow through on assigned tasks.
- Ability to work independently using initiative and creativity to complete assigned tasks.
- Strong time management skills; able to handle multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Work well under pressure.
- Ability to get along well with co-workers and support a team environment.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations.
- Current First Aid/CPR certification required.
- Alcohol Server Training (OLCC) required.
- STCW Basic Safety Training preferred.
- STCW Crowd Management preferred.
The physical demands are described in the Steward Job Analysis sheet and is available to all applicants.
Stewards work on average up to 12 hours each day with one day off approximately every 7-10 days, for approximately a six-month agreement.