As the 2nd Engineer, you will play an important role in creating a safe working environment by ensuring the engine room by ensuring the safety, efficiency, and maintenance of machinery.
• Represents the Chief Engineer and is responsible for the safety, efficiency, and maintenance of the machinery affecting the safety of the ship
•Notifies the bridge immediately in the event of a fire, imminent steering gear failure, impending actions in the machinery spaces that may cause reduction in ship’s speed, and any malfunction to the delivery and/or equipment that might result to pollution
• Responsible for the Electric Power Generation Engines, which includes lube oil management and analysis of the engines in conjunction with the 3rd Engineer of oil systems; the inspection, operation and testing as required of all machinery and equipment under the direction of the Staff-Chief Engineer and Chief Engineer, the EWO of the watch; and manage fuel oil supply modules and Viscosity Unit (i.e. Buffer Tanks, Booster Pumps ,etc.)
• Serves as damage control officer for the ship, which includes ensuring all work orders are updated in AMOS; providing equipment training to officers and ratings in Engine Department as per Staff Chief Engineer’s schedule; and cost containment through the proper use, handling and maintenance of records, reports, supplies and equipment. In addition, collaborates with AMOS Controller to review the inventory of spare parts/consumables and future maintenance plans in order to prepare requisitions 3 months in advance for the area of responsibility.
•Graduate of Maritime Academy
• 2nd Engineer’s License in accordance with the STCW regulations III/2 convention issued by a country that has ratified the convention
• Working knowledge of safety equipment
• Previous management experience with a team of 4-10 individuals
• Strong communication, problem solving, decision-making, and interpersonal skills
• Working knowledge of computers, internet, and the ability to navigate within a variety of software packages such as Excel, Word, or related programs
• All international applicants must have the ability to obtain C1/D visa (and other relevant visas) when applicable
• Must meet all physical requirements, including the ability to participate in emergency life-saving drills and required training
• 6 months or more sailing as licensed 2nd Engineer on cruise ships