Assistant Ship Systems Manager
Department: Information Technology; Description: Assists the Ship Systems Manager in maintaining all IT systems and equipment onboard the vessel. Provides general support of systems and procedural activities in all departments onboard the vessel.
- Performs daily, voyage, monthly and other computer operations as detailed in Run Books, onboard and Intranet documentation and as requested by shore side IT Management and Support Teams.
- Responsible for reporting and documenting professionally all system changes (hardware, software etc.)
- Provide onboard support and maintenance for all company IT assets, applications, software and hardware, including but not limited to workstations, POS terminals, printers, scanners, peripheral attached devices, mobile devices, networking devices, servers and related hardware.
- User requests must be responded promptly and professionally according to onboard working schedule and business priority.
- Critical calls, issues or requests - high impact on revenue, guest satisfaction, ship operation - must be responded promptly and professionally 24/7.
- Non-Critical calls, issues or requests – must be acknowledged and attended according to onboard advertised IT department operational schedule.
- Takes direction from Systems Manager as to division of responsibilities and assignments.
- Provides users basic training support in use of common PC software and specialized Property Management Systems.
- Follow directives of onboard management to adhere to all behavioral, safety and other rules for crew members and keep onboard management informed of any IT issues and policies that affect shipboard operations in their areas of responsibility.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and the SEMS, and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.
- General support of systems and procedural activities in all departments onboard the vessel.
NATURE AND SCOPE
- Reports directly to the Systems Manager for work related issues. Reports to the Staff Captain for ship rules and other ship specific issues.
- Works closely with Systems Manager, Manager of Ship Systems and IT Technical Support Department personnel at corporate office as well to maintain hardware, cabling systems, networks, software and other technical issues.
- The incumbent must be able to work in a multi-cultural environment; also, must be able to adjust to changes in schedules, assignments and deadlines.
- Minimum one (1) year of practical experience troubleshooting, diagnosing and repairing IT systems with direct contact with application users, operation experience and systems administration is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar is required.
- Advanced skills in typing and computer software skills including but not limited to Microsoft Office products, Fidelio Cruise Management, Micros - POS Management systems is required.
- Must have Intermediate knowledge and experience working with all types of operating systems, including but not limited to: Microsoft, Android, Linux, and Unix.
- Must have Intermediate knowledge and understanding of specifications of the software to be installed in the computers and make necessary pre-installations.
- High school diploma or foreign equivalent is required.
- Microsoft certification, either MCSA, MCP or MCSE (server/desktop) is required.
- Cisco (CCNA), VMWare (VCP) certifications are preferred
- Other certifications or formal training in IT systems currently in use onboard the vessels from a recognized educational institution are preferred.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Passionate about hospitality and customer service driven
- Must have a professional appearance and good hygiene
- Respect for all co-workers and guests
- Pride in your work by creating positive energy, excitement and fun
- Able to work 7 days a week
- Demonstrate positive behaviors; smiling, being polite and courteous
- Able to develop a camaraderie with team members
- Ability to live in close quarters, share limited space with other cabin-mates
- While performing the essential functions of this job, all team members are required to stand; walk long distances on the ship; use hands to touch, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk, hear, taste and smell. All vessel positions require repetitive motion of bending, climbing, going up and down stairs and lifting more than 25 pounds. This job requires specific vision abilities to include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- All team members must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. All vessel positions require full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats.
- Work within different temperature changes—indoors to outdoors.
- Able to pass basic safety course.
This is a minimal description of duties. Other work requirements may be necessary and assigned as business or maritime law dictates.