Bar Waiter-Major Cruise Line
Serves beverages to guests seated at tables or standing in various bars, cocktail lounges or
special events throughout the vessel.
Food, accommodation, medical insurance and flight tickets expenses are covered by the company.
Permanent job with 6 months contracts followed by 2 months vacation
Tax-free salary is paid every two weeks.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Each shipboard employee may be required to perform all functions in various food and beverage service venues and throughout the ship.
1. In accordance with company’s philosophy, each employee conducts oneself in a professional and courteous manner at all times. This consists of physical and verbal interactions with guests or fellow shipboard employees and/or in the presence of guest contact and crew areas.
2. Each bar shipboard employee reports to their workstation assignment on time and properly groomed and dressed according to company standards. This includes a clean uniform, nametag, and any other uniform related item.
3. Greets and converses with guests to answer questions, provide information, promote drink specials and/or up-sell to premium brands. Makes suggestions for alternatives if drink request is not available in current inventory.
4. Takes all beverage orders and relays it to Bartender. Asks for appropriate identification to determine minimum drinking age.
5. Collects order from Bartender and reviews to ensure drink order is correct and is served in appropriate glass and adds appropriate garnish. Discusses discrepancies with Bartender to complete the order. Places glasses on tray, and serves to guests with cocktail napkins, according to highest standards.
6. Computes bill and presents for payment. Collects charge card for drinks served and inputs accurate data in the point-of-sale system. Calculates tips, discounts, percentages and refunds as needed. Presents statement to guest for signature and collects payment.
7. Takes orders for and serves light meals and hors d'oeuvres.
8. Ensures stations and/or tables are clean, orderly and properly set with matches, clean ashtrays and beverage menus, etc. Removes empty or dirty glasses and bottles and returns them to the bar or kitchen. Practices napkin folding techniques and mechanics.
9. Works independently and without immediate supervision. Promotes teamwork and provides on-the-job training to Bar Utility personnel to strengthen their current performance.
10. While scheduled to work in the English Pub, makes an attempt to converse with guests. to emphasize the English Pub atmosphere.
11. While scheduled to work in the Golf Bar, makes an attempt to converse with guests regarding the sport of golf, personalities, events, championships, etc. to emphasis the Golf Bar atmosphere.
12. While scheduled to work in the Sports Bar, makes an attempt to converse with guests regarding various domestic and international sports, athletes, events, championships, etc. to emphasize the Sports Bar atmosphere.
13. May perform Bar Server duties during special events and parties not located in the bars or lounges. May work in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
14. Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work-related activities as required.
15. Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position. Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
- Two to three years previous bar server experience, preferably in a 4 or 5 star restaurant, lounge, hotel, etc.
- Ability to work independently to, quickly and accurately, take and serve drink orders.
- Working knowledge of varying brands and quality of liquors and beers.
- Knowledge of varying brands and quality of wines preferred.
- Working knowledge of public health standards.
- Working knowledge of cash registers and/or related computerized systems. Ability to perform basic math functions with regard to calculating tips, discounts and percentages.
- Ability to up-sell and promote drinks and specials.
- Ability to apply customer service skills, according to Royal Caribbean International’s Gold Anchor Standards, when interacting with guests and co-workers.
- Ability to provide on-the-job training to Bar Utility personnel.
- Completion of high school or basic education equivalency preferred.
You can apply for this job if you are:
- At least 21 years of age
- speak good English
- are hospitable and friendly person
- having relevant experience